måndag, januari 15, 2007

Bush — den kristne ledaren

Några citat av Bush som visar hur han blandar ihop religion och politik:
"I fully understand that the job of the president is and must always be protecting the great right of people to worship or not worship as they see fit. That's what distinguishes us from the Taliban. The greatest freedom we have or one of the greatest freedoms is the right to worship the way you see fit. -- On the other hand, I don't see how you can be president at least from my perspective, how you can be president, without a relationship with the Lord."

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."


"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam [Hussein], which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

"I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state."

"The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them."

"This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while."

— George W Bush
Dessa citat kan tjäna som ett korrektiv mot den missuppfattning som är vida spridd att USA skulle vara ett fullt ut sekulariserat land, där religion och politik skilts åt med vattentäta skot.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Tack för kommentaren och länken.
Jag har ofta reflekterat just över
den retorik Bush använder sig av när han säger sig ha ett uppdrag från Gud, som om han var utvald. Tydliga paraleller med andra religiösa fanatiker och terrorister. Intressant blogg - kommer tillbaks!